(InEDC) BY 50 Grand Restaurant and Bar Published: 08/12/23 8:48 PM PST
There have been nine owners and nine slight name changes to 50 Grand Restaurant & Bar in its 80 year history. Notice the years, and spellings. Sometimes it was spelt “Fifty,” sometimes it was the number “50.” Although 2023 brings the 80 year anniversary of “50 Grand,” the story of this establishment starts a little further back.
1930 Newt Grout, building built.
1937 sold to Frenchy & Ted Lang “Frenchy’s Café and Store.” The first restaurant here.
1943 Frenchy & Pete Peterson, they renamed “Frenchy’s” to “50 Grand Bar & Café.”
1945 sold to Ernie and Dicie Endicott, renamed to “50 Grand Club.”
1951 renamed in January to “50 Grand Restaurant”
1951 sold in December to Bill & Marie Murray renamed “50 Grand Coffee Shop & Cocktail lounge.”
1955 sold to Robert & Maxine Miller and Mel & Maurine Soerber, renamed “Fifty Grand Bar & Café.”
1961 sold to Everett and Melna Morris, renamed back to “50 Grand Restaurant.”
1968 Gene & Carlene Drury became partners with the Morris’, then full owners of “Fifty Grand Restaurant.”
1990 Candy (Gene’s Daughter) & Larry Lequire, officially took over “Fifty Grand Steakhouse.”
2018 sold to Jim & Kim McCarthy renamed to older name “50 Grand Restaurant & Bar.”
Jim & Kim are working hard to preserve the history and memories of this establishment. This information took Kim hundreds of hours of searching at the county offices, & searching with helpers at the history museum and the library…just so 50 Grands legacy is preserved. We appreciate your continued patronage, and being a part of nature’s wonderland.
***If any of you know or are related to any of these owners, or have old pictures in old photo albums with the buildings inside or out, PLEASE write us about them and/or scan in pictures and share. We’d love to have faces and stories to go along with the history.
[ The original business spot sprang up in the early 1930s as a combination grocery store, gas pump, restaurant and then later that game changing post office. The current incarnation was rebuilt after a fire in 1983.]