El Dorado County Sheriff Urges Residents to Upgrade Emergency Notification Services
From the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office of Emergency Services (OES):
The El Dorado County Sheriff’s OES has the capability to utilize ‘Reverse 9-11”. This means we can geographically chose a specific area and blast out a custom message to all businesses and residents contained within the area. This tool is only utilized for emergency purposes, such as: wild land fires or other significant hazards/events.
Note: Landlines and businesses are automatically registered; this is to add subsequent cell phones or VOIP lines. There is no need to register your landline.
Messages traditionally include what is going on, what you should do, and/or who you can contact for more information. Messages typically request subjects to either be aware of an event or take action such as evacuate or shelter-in-place.
Anyone can register their address with the Reverse 9-11 program by following these steps:
1) Go to the El Dorado County website (http://www.edcgov.us/home.aspx).
2) Select the “Alert Notification System / EDSO-OES” link located on the right side of the page.
3) A notice pops up stating you are leaving the website. Select “OK”.
4) Select “Register Your Account” located on the right side of the page.
5) A new page opens. Complete the registration by entering your name, address, and contact information. Once completed; a map on the right side of the page will place a marker roughly where your residence is located.
6) Once completed select “Register”. If you provided an email address a confirmation email will be sent to that account. Open the email and click the link to finish the registration process.
- Tip: You can only register 2 phone lines per account. Unlimited accounts can be registered to any address. Therefore, if you have multiple phone lines and/or multiple people at one address simply create additional accounts.
- If the program states it “cannot locate your address”, refresh the page (f5) and this typically fixes the problem.
Contact Deputy Jordan Thomson for additional information:
email@example.com or (530) 621-7660.