New Native Daughters of the Golden West Parlor instituted in Coloma
Sutter’s Mill Parlor No. 336 of the Native Daughters of the Golden West was instituted on Jan. 24, Gold Discovery Day, at Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park, the site where James Marshall made his momentous discovery in 1848.
State Grand President Sharon Logan, and her team of grand officers conducted the Institution of the Parlor, initiated 18 new charter members and installed President Karly Meadows and her corps of officers.
The new charter members received the grand president’s special pin and the order’s membership pin.
Organizer, Dee Goodspeed, presented each charter member with the “Sutter’s Mill” pin as a remembrance of the occasion.
Thirty-four charter member applications have been approved to date. This is remarkable in a “Ghost Town” with just over 400 inhabitants.
The parlor will hold a second initiation of charter members on Saturday, March 1.
The Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park provides a meeting place for the new parlor in the Gold Rush Era Weller House.
Park Superintendent Jeremy McReynolds was introduced to the assembled members of the order and delivered a welcoming speech. The new parlor will participate in the park’s historic programs and support community events.
The parlor sign board and the parlor seal were displayed at the event in Coloma’s Gold Trail Grange Hall. The hall was decorated with California Poppies and the 127 guests from parlors across California were given pioneer packets of California Poppy seed to plant.
Dee Goodspeed, of Coloma, and Order Past Grand President Debi Stalder, of Colfax, have spent the past seven months organizing the new parlor.
Many of the charter members are pioneer descendants and will explore their ancestors through the Pioneer Roster of the Order.
The new parlor meets on the fourth Thursday of each month in the evening. California born women are invited to join.
Go to www.ndgw.org for information about the order and a membership application.
The parlor institution was part of the celebration of the 150th anniversary of California State Parks. This anniversary marks President Abraham Lincoln’s establishment of the Yosemite Preserve which he gifted to the people of California in 1864. The Yosemite Preserve was the first public land set aside for the enjoyment of future generations and launched the concept of the National Park System.
On Jan. 24, Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park marked the beginning of reconstruction of the Sutter’s Mill replica with a ground breaking ceremony attended by state and state park officials, Grand Officers of the Native Sons of the Golden West and Grand Officers of the Native Daughters of the Golden West.