EID Eyes Drought Declaration, Surcharge
It has been widely reported that 2013 was the driest year in recorded history for many areas of California. Current conditions suggest much of the same for 2014.
“There are four stages in EID’s drought action plan and each stage is triggered by the district’s water supply conditions,” said EID General Manager Jim Abercrombie. “Stage 1 indicates that we are planning for restricted water supplies and we’re asking our customers to voluntarily help us achieve a 15 percent reduction in water use.”
Due to the water supply shortage, the board will also consider implementing drought conservation pricing — a 15 percent increase on water usage only.
The special meeting of the board will begin at 6 p.m. Feb. 4 in the Sly Park conference room at EID headquarters, 2890 Mosquito Road, Placerville.
For more drought information — including links to practical water efficiency suggestions — go to www.eid.org/drought.
The District's service area has experienced two consecutive dry years, with calendar year 2013 being the driest on record. Very little precipitation has fallen in the latter part of 2013, leading to a great deal of concern for the water supply outlook heading into 2014.
EID encourages customers to continue to be mindful of their indoor and outdoor water usage and conserve water in every way possible.
- Water Supply Conditions Update (AIS #11 from January 13, 2014 Board packet)
- 1/29/2014: EID Plans for Stage 1 Drought
- 1/13/2014: EID Board Asks For Voluntary Water Conservation, Stops Short of Declaring Drought
- EID Office of Water Efficiency
- Be Water Smart (Regional Water Authority)
- Save Our Water - Save Our Water is a statewide program aimed at helping Californians reduce their everyday water use. Learn how to calculate your water use at home, save water inside and outside the home, and much more.
- 2014 Drought Watch (Association of California Water Agencies)
- Water Conditions (CA Department of Water Resources)
- Drought Action Plan - 2012 Update
- Drought Preparedness Plan Executive Summary - 2008
- Drought Preparedness Plan - January 2008
- EID Water Waste Prohibition (Administrative Regulation 1041)