Message from the EID’s general manager: how we measure up
It’s hard to believe that four years have passed by so quickly. When I began my job at EID in September of 2009 we had our share of challenges. After cost-cutting and productivity improvements, we’re a much stronger organization — both financially and operationally. These feats have been accomplished by staff’s adherence to a rigorous performance measurement program. We compare ourselves to other similar organizations in terms of “best practices” and set goals that will not only sustain a high level of performance but also foster continued improvement. We feel that this is really the only way to stay focused and on top of your game, when it comes to performance.
Each fall during a board meeting I present the district’s performance, in terms of specific measurements, to the district’s Board of Directors and the public. Some of the measurements we compare against come from data we collect in our customer surveys while other data comes from technical trade associations, such as the American Water Works Association, and other sources. Highlights of this report include the following achievements:
- maintaining customer satisfaction at 90 percent or greater,
- minimizing sanitary sewer spills per 100 miles of collection line, limiting it to two in 2012, placing in the top quartile of utilities for providing reliable water service; this is based upon the number of unplanned water outages per 1,000 accounts at less than 4 hours,
- placing in the lower one-third of comparison agencies, in terms of average monthly water rates,
- placing at the median of comparison agencies, in terms of wastewater rates,
- receiving a “moderate” debt rating by Standard & Poor’s rating agency for “total debt to total net capital assets” portfolio, and,
- achieving one of the highest efficiency ratios of “number of accounts serviced per employee” in the area.
I am very satisfied with the performance we’ve achieved in the last four years. We will strive to continue to improve upon our performance measures in the future. For more information on our performance measures, please read the “Key Performance Indicators” report in the Document Library under the “About Us” tab on our Website at www.eid.org.