County Auditor-Controller Overpaid and with Questionable Bonuses
Auditor-Controller: Key Findings
- The El Dorado County Auditor-Controller is the 3rd highest paid Auditor-Controller in the State in 2011 with a total wage of $200,106.
- lncluding benefits, total compensation for the Auditor-Controller in 2011 was $247,742.
- The Auditor-Controller is paid 15% to 52% more than auditor-controllers in counties of similar size to El Dorado County.
- The average salary for elected Auditor-Controller's in 2011 was $143,587. The El Dorado County Auditor Controller was paid $56,519 more than the average.
- The Auditor-Controller is paid extra for being qualified to hold office. On top of the maximum salary listed in the El Dorado County salary schedule, El Dorado County’s Auditor-Controller is paid extra for being a Certified Public Accountant, which is one of the acceptable qualifications for the position under the California Government Code.
- On top of the maximum salary listed in the El Dorado County salary schedule, the Auditor- Controller is paid "longevity pay" despite the position being an elected office.
The position of Auditor-Controller is an elected office under the El Dorado County Charter. Twelve counties do not have elected Auditor-Controllers? Many counties combined the position of Auditor-Controller with other offices. Interestingly, the El Dorado County Auditor-Controllers wage significantly outpaces the California State Controller, though responsible for a considerably smaller number of employees.
El Dorado County Auditor-Controller pay is $200,106 and has 24.6 employees. #4
The California State Controller pay is $136,994 and has 1,520 employees.
The El Dorado County Auditor-Controller is among the highest paid compared to elected auditor-controllers in other counties. In 2011, the El Dorado County Auditor-Controller was paid over $200,000 making him the third highest paid auditor-controller in the State. By comparison, the average wage for elected county auditors in 2011 was $143,587, $56,519 less than El Dorado County's Auditor-Controller.
The higher than average wage appears to be a trend not isolated to 2011. Among elected auditor-controllers, the El Dorado County incumbent was the 4th highest paid Auditor-Controller in the State of California for 2009 and 2010.
In addition to salary, the El Dorado County Auditor-Controller is provided a generous benefit package relative to other elected Auditor-Controllers. A total of $47,636 in benefits was reported in 2011 including:
- $26,798 toward a defined benefit plan.
- $4,745 toward deferred compensation.
- $16,093 toward health, dental, and vision benefits.
Benefits provided to the El Dorado County Auditor-Controller are the 14th most generous in the State of California among elected Auditor-Controllers.
#3 Data for comparisons includes elected positions only. Does not include the counties of Glenn, Kings, Los ' Angeles, Madera, Marin, Merced, Modoc, Mono, Sacramento, San Diego, Santa Clara, and Trinity. Data for the - City and County of San Francisco omitted.
#4 County of El Dorado Human Resources Department, Personnel Allocation Report FY 2012-13, , * http:_//www.edcgov.us_/HumanResources/