Georgetown Divide Resident Expresses Concern About School Move
Georgetown and Northside parents, grandparents and concerned citizens: The school district is looking to move 27 students from Georgetown to Northside due to class size. This has any number of problems associated with it. I’ve written the following note to Dr. Williams, our superintendent, discussing several concerns. If you agree, an e-mail to Dr. William’s office would be helpful. It needs to be today, as this is being moved on aggressively.
Georgetown Site Council Chairperson
August 28, 2012
As the Georgetown School Site President, I wanted to bring forward a couple concerns I had about the announced move of 27 students from Georgetown to Northside to balance class size. I also wanted to propose a possible solution after discussing the situation with 3 of the 4 parent site council members today.
• Georgetown will lose ADA funds. If we expect to see $4400 per student, then GT stands to lose $118k this year along with Title I funds.
• The burden on families to travel long distances needs to be taken into account
• Additional transportation costs to district
• Northside will be impacted with larger class sizes.
Site Council Proposal:
• I’ve spoken today to several of my parent reps on site council, and we would be willing to vote on, and direct funds under our control towards the hire of a new teacher for Georgetown. I realize this would not cover the full cost of a teacher. However, it would go some way to helping defray that cost on the district as a whole.
I’d be more than willing to sit down with you to discuss this with you further if interested.
Thank you for your attention,