Emmanuel Church Marker
Inscription. Built in 1855, this is the oldest Episcopal church building in the state. It was later purchased and used by the Methodists. James Marshall's funeral services were held here in 1885. The Church remains a popular site for weddings. Contact the Park office for reservations and information.
Erected by Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park.
Location. 38° 47.822′ N, 120° 53.459′ W. Marker is in Coloma, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is on Church Street east of High Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 365 Church Street, Coloma CA 95613, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint John’s Cemetery (about 500 feet away, in a direct line); Sutter Mill Cemetery – 1848 (about 500 feet away); Pioneer Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Coloma’s Pioneer Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Cabin of James Marshall (about 500 feet away); Mining Ditches (about 500 feet away); Papini House (about 800 feet away); Dukehart’s Barbershop and Bathhouse (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Coloma.
Regarding Emmanuel Church. The Emmanuel Church was built in 1855 by Episcopalians and Methodists. Rev. Charles Caleb Peirce was one of the first ministers. In 1921 this building became the property of the Methodists, who made extensive improvements. Today, this church is cared for by the Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park Superintendent. The church is open to the public with docents greeting visitors dressed in the period costume of the gold rush era.
3. Emmanuel Church
Credits. This page originally submitted on March 3, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 3, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Emmanuel Church Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, March 3, 2012